Monday, December 04, 2006

The Wedding & Honeymoon Story

I'll start at the start, shall I? And continue on until I reach the end - that sounds rather Alice-In-Wonderland-ish.

Saturday was a typical Melbourne day, overcast but not too cold. I awoke in a hotel room shared with my parents and my bridesmaid. My flowergirl and her mother rocked up late-morning to get organised, do make-up, and so forth. I stressed and paced and worried. For all that, the wedding went off without a hitch. It was small, casual, intimate. Everybody who said they'd be there was there, and everybody was extremely happy for us. The day passed in rather a blur for me, I don't really remember much of it!

The next bit was the "reception" - about twelve of us ended up at the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner, including both sets of parents. Surprisingly, they enjoyed it and didn't get headaches. Or so they said. We all had rather a lot of fun, and I danced with my dad to some old Everly Brothers song that I'd never heard of before, and cared nothing for the mud on the bottom of my dress! (Gotta love a garden wedding.)

Sunday morning dawned upon ill fortune. Sunday was the day of our departure to South Africa, monitoring baboons. But disaster struck! FOOD POISONING!!! I spent all of Sunday in the bathroom, ejecting food from both ends. I struggled bravely on, and got on the plane... we made it as far as Singapore, our first scheduled stop-over, and then I passed out on the plane. That put an end to any hope of reaching South Africa.

I learnt that if you ask a taxi driver to take you to a cheap hotel, you end up in the red light district in a hotel that rents rooms by the hour.

So the up-shot is, we spent a week in Singapore for our honeymoon by accident. I recovered after about three days, at which point Aidan fell ill with what appeared to be the same thing. But by day three or four we were both ok and able to explore! Amazing luck - my brother's girlfriend lives and works in Singapore, so we had our "local guide" and got to see things that most tourists don't find out about.

We had a great time once we were all healthy. The Singapore Zoo, Changi Chapel memorial, Fort Siloso, Fort Canning, Sentosa, Raffles Hotel and general wanderings... I can't be arsed going into the history of Singapore right now, but if you don't know about it, it is certainly worth a read. Interesting stuff, although a lot of what we saw was very emotionally draining. However, on the whole, we had a fantastic time and I guess things kind of worked out for the best!


Homo Escapeons said...

Thank goodness it all worked out. Thank you for pictures..I knew that you would post look very happy!
Well see nobody said that married life would be easy but you two stuck it out and made the most of it! Great start and it may well be sign of how fantastic the two of you are as a couple.
You made lemonade out of your lemons..fantastic!
The BIG day itself does zoom by..everybody tells you that but now you know it's true.
Glad you had a memorable trip and enjoy the honeymoon...which btw isn't supposed to ever end.

mjd said...

Hi, I am visiting from Cazzie's blog,"I don't do mornings." Congratulations on the wedding you make a lovely bride with a handsome groom. I am sorry that you became ill on the honeymoon. It sounds like Singapore was good time

Jenn S said...

I'm so glad it worked out for you! At least you got to enjoy most of the trip!