Monday, March 28, 2005

I don't think I'm a feminist. I'd hate to sound like I was being feminist in this post. I'd just like to make that clear from the outset.

Today I was listening, through no choice of my own, to several rap songs - or maybe they're called, however inappropriately, R'n'B. Whatever. Anyway, the lyrics seemed to be all about getting "a piece of you" or wanting "somebody nasty" or how the singer "likes it tasty". In short, the lyrics speak of people, particularly women, like objects. It's disgusting. Very little offends me, I don't get upset or distressed at most things, but those songs do. They encourage men to think that way, and encourage women to believe they're no better than a sex object. It's more of the "I'm ugly unless I have big boobs and a nice bum" mentality, expressed constantly although less explicitly on television and in magazines. I, as well as thousands (maybe millions) of other women in the world, have a negative self-image. I certainly don't need myriads of songs, TV shows, magazines, and advertisements telling me yet again that I'm not pretty enough (forgive the unintentional Kasey Chambers reference), or that I must lose weight so I look like a twig with hair, or that if I don't use Clearasil the boys won't like me. I don't need to be told that all any man will want from me is my body, probably only for the night, before he moves on to the next girl who is probably prettier or sexier or has larger breasts than me. I don't need to be told that I have to put out to be accepted.

Anyway. Enough ranting. I'm over it.

No comments: