Sunday, June 15, 2008

I didn't hear about that job yet. I doubt I'll be offered it, and I don't think I'll take it if they do offer it to me. It's not enough money, and I don't want to have to learn to drive.

It occurs to me that the ending of a particularly good book, movie, or television series, can be a very sad moment. I find that, particularly after reading a good book or series of books, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. Suddenly a world I have immersed myself in has no more to offer me; the adventures are over, the characters have done all their author intended, and back into reality I am abruptly thrown.

I have just spent the last six hours with my eyes glued to youtube, unlikely as that may seem, having re-discovered an old favourite. Back in the 90's, BBC did a series called "Takin' Over The Asylum" - one series, no repeats, never heard anything more about it. But it was that rare thing: wonderful. Funny, sad, touching, bittersweet. Characters you couldn't not love, a story that couldn't fail to rivet you, and an ending that leaves you wanting more in the best possible way. Click here, and keep going through the whole six episodes, and if you don't at least nearly cry at least once, and at least nearly piss yourself laughing at least once, you're inhuman. Also, David Tennant in the role of Campbell is really hot.

And now it's over, again, and I'm lost, again. What do I do now? No mere RPG can stir up those emotions. No other story, written or acted, will make me feel quite the same way. Real life is just no substitute.

5 comments:

Menchie said...

Hey Stace! Feel exactly the same way about a good book. Sometimes I like to read slower especially if I don't want the book to end right away. Drives me crazy!

Romeo Morningwood said...

That's exactly why I don't read Novels...it's a good excuse anyway.

Have you ever seen the BBC/HBO series ROME?
That'll keep you busy..I could not stop watching it..absolutely brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy being unemployed with me, stace :) I am so poor it's ridiculous. Not even students are meant to be this poor. :(

I can waste entire days on youtube quite easily. Some one should start YouTube Anonymous...

Anonymous said...

Ah, perhaps this is why I haven't got a job yet...

Stace said...

Menchie - I know what you mean! There's a battle between reading quickly to find out what happens, and reading slowly so it lasts longer...

Donn - I haven't seen Rome. Do you think it'd be you youtube??

Fathorse - I don't fancy unemployment again! I have another job interview on Monday, and I have high hopes of this one :)