Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sometimes I don't recognise myself.

I'm sure I used to be timid and shy. I recall once upon a time refusing to buy myself a pair of shoes because I didn't want to talk to the person at the counter. I think mum had to get them for me. I was probably about 13.

Now I yell at people for not using their indicators, and confront people about their poorly thought out beliefs and values.

Not so long ago I overheard a man talking to his wife about "Australian values". Frankly I haven't got a clue what they are, so I asked him. And he said, "They are what I went and fought in Viet Nam for." Sadly I didn't have time to discuss the matter further; I had to go through the check-out. But I would have loved to have told that guy his answer said nothing and made no sense.

I have opinions. I believe in them. I have no qualms in making them known.

For instance, there is no such thing as "Australian values". It is a phrase bandied about by politicians to gain votes from the patriotic, but never explained. I'm quite sure I share very few values with the kind of politician who'd say that, or the kind of voter who'd believe in it.

I also think that what human beings do to each other is disgusting. I would like to believe that we have moved beyond the primitive fight for survival and supremacy, but the more I read the news the more I see that people are indeed behaving primitively - I would say "like barbarians" but I think barbarians were more advanced than, say, Neanderthals. Just. And the things we do to each other are not justified as they might have been millions of years ago. Not at all. The things we do are heinous, and the reasons given are pathetic.

Another opinion of mine is that, truly, "religion is the opiate of the masses". The quote I stole, the opinion is my own. Religion is one of the above-mentioned pathetic reasons to do things to people. It is also a catalyst for conflict. There are thousands of religions in the world, each believing itself to be right while the others are wrong. Even within the same religion there are sects and schisms and debates. And it's all over things which may or may not have happened in the distant past. Surely we can leave all that behind us?

The last opinion I'm going to go into is my very own prejudice, and I think it's the only one I've got: stupidity. I hate stupid people. I don't mean uneducated; the underprivileged can't help the lack of resources available to them. I mean people who have the means but not the will. It's so much easier to just believe things - the bible, the newspaper, what Their Sharon Said About Our Shawn.

So anyway, that's me.

1 comment:

Cazzie!!! said...

Stace, you know I love you because you are to the point and well, if this is the woman you have become, since that shy 13 year old girl, then Elspeth has got a wonderful Mum to learn from..and to cherish.
Zero tolerance to idiots, that is a motto I have adopted very recently. Just like you said, not stupid as in uneducated secondary to lack of resources....stupid as in fu&%ed up behaviour and all that.
Hmmm, it is in the news. It is there for real in real life. I know you and Aidan know it from his work, and we, hubby and I, know it from our work too. The stupids are rampant out there.