Monday, November 01, 2010

NaNoWriMo strikes again! Yes folks, November is National Novel Writing Month. I'm aiming for 2,000 words per day, that should get me nicely over the required 50,000 words, or get me to the target a little early. So far today I have 1,589. Well on track!

This year's wordcount tips:

Give characters two-word names such as Mary Lou, Billy Bob, and so on, and use their full name every time they are referred to.
Try not to use contractions - don't is one word, while do not is two!
Have a character fascinated with etymology, who feels compelled to explain the meanings and/or origins of almost every word he says.
Include long descriptions of people and places - adjectives are your friend!

Wish me luck. :)

2 comments:

Romeo Morningwood said...

Watch out J K Rowling!
There's a new kid in town. :)

Andrew said...

I love your rules. Except for spelling out don't. In the play I'm currently assisting, every character says "do not" a thousand times, it gets really noticable. However I guess you can conjoin the two words in December.