There are 21 emails which Hotmail has identified as crap and moved automatically into my junk email folder.
- 5 of them offer to enlarge my penis (didn't know I had one...)
- 6 of them offer me money, discounts, or free things that I haven't signed up for
- 4 of them want to help me lose weight (while pregnant?! great idea...)
- 1 is a phishing email supposedly from Hotmail themselves (because they don't know my password)
- 2 of them offer true love (thought I already had that...)
- 2 of them offer me great travel deals with limited eligibility (I think you have to live in the USA!)
- 1 says something about a king whose daughters were all beautiful (lucky guy)
Who the heck falls for all this junk? I read somewhere recently that, as consumers have started to wise up to email scams, text messages to your phone is the new big thing. I have two main issues with this.
Firstly - what do they mean, started to wise up? Surely the human race isn't so stupid that we've only just started to catch on to something that's been happening for at least fifteen years... oh, what am I saying? Right, ok, moving on.
Secondly - the text message scams are exactly the same as the email ones! Just using a different medium! Why on earth would any of these apparently newly-wise consumers fall for the same thing sent a different way? Oh... yeah, ok.
We're really not the brightest, us humans, are we? Perhaps the eternal optimism gene needs to be switched off so that we realise that not everybody has our best interests at heart. There really are people out there who just want to take us for a ride, steal our money, trick us, lie to us, hurt us, inconvenience us, and annoy us. There are people out there who are not nice people. They've always been there, but the internet has brought them closer.
Watch it out there, folks. It's a big bad world, and it's getting smaller!