Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It’s amazing how a simple word or sentence spoken to a near-stranger can open up new realms of possibility. I notice it with customers. I know our regulars, there are people I speak to almost every day, and I get a bit of friendliness happening with them. But until some chance remark, it’s generally limited to “Nice weather, eh?” and “How’s work been?”

The chance remark was “Thank goodness it’s you, you’re organised!!!” (In contrast to the last person I’d spoken to). I know now that this customer turned 24 yesterday, is not yet engaged to her boyfriend of six years although they bought the rings recently, and that she isn’t as organised in real life as she seems on the phone! She thinks it’s “cool” that Aidan and I are spending our honeymoon monitoring baboons in South Africa. Now we gasbag like old chums.

The same applies to the guy in the cafe where I get my hot chocolate and muffin most mornings. His name is Matthew, as he told me yesterday when we got chatting properly for the first time. Now he’s counting down how many days until my wedding, and reminding me how soon it is as he hands over the hot choccie. He has been married for 7 years, and says it just keeps getting better! His colleague, Cynthia, has been with her partner (unmarried) for 15 years, and they have two dogs called Yang and Chloe.

It’s just wonderful how a little effort (well, it didn’t even take effort, really, just a moment) can find you a new friend. The world is full of great people, if you keep your eye out for them!

6 comments:

WithinWithout said...

A gorgeous little snippet of joy, Stace, and sound wisdom and advice to boot.

If more people would only take it to heart...but it's super heartening that you did and makes me smile.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Watch out Stace...
you may get stuck being friends with some daffy bugger (*points to the grinning goofball above) like I did back in 1979.
You just never know...

Stace said...

Thanks for the warning, HE... I'll be careful!

lee said...

There are some great people around here as well. But Stace be wary of that within without guy - he has way too many remote controls - you just can't be too careful... ;).

Bibi said...

This is so true Stace! Sometimes even just a smile will kick things off ;-)

WithinWithout said...

Hey! You get busy after just trying to be a nice guy and all of a sudden, you're Public Enemy No. 1!