Wednesday, June 04, 2003

There was a woman on the train. I stared at her. I will never in my entire life figure out exactly what she was trying to do, though I stared for twenty minutes or more. She had what I will call for the sake of simplicity "tools". These including tweezers, nail scissors, and something vaguely needle-like which wasn't a needle. She was poking around at one of her fingers - yes, just one of them. It seemed almost as though she had something stuck behind her fingernail (possibly a splinter), but despite all her poking and prying with the tools her face never showed any pain or even annoyance. It will be a mystery till the day I die. I don't know why it was so intriguing. I almost got up and asked her what she was doing. It was very weirdly fascinating - weirdly, because I don't know why. But there you go. A mystery of life.

No comments: